Oregano (Origanum vulgare) Essential Oil from dōTERRA®
Powerful cleanser, immune-enhancing benefits, very strong antioxidant
→ Phenols (up to 80%):
→ Sesquiterpenes (<6%):
Sprig of oregano plant
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils, and has been used for centuries, in traditional medicine, for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties. Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used oregano as a cleansing agent, as well as for digestive and respiratory support.
The primary chemical components of oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess purifying and antioxidant properties.
15 mL bottle.
About oregano oil:
Oregano oil is steam distilled from the stems and leaves of the Origanum vulgare plant, yielding an oil with a heavy, herbaceous, sharp, green, camphoraceous, spicy, pungent aroma that really lingers. The Origanum vulgare plant is a member of the Lamiaceae (also called Labiatae, or mint) family of flowering plants. The oil contains phenolic acids and flavonoids, making it an outstanding antioxidant.
No one would ever confuse oregano with perfume; however, it is used as a fragrance component in soaps, colognes and perfumes, especially fragrances for men. But, what it lacks as a perfume, it more than makes up for in other important ways.
Oregano, in addition to being a popular cooking spice, supports healthy digestion. When diffused, oregano acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends, and can help maintain healthy respiratory function.
One drop, taken daily, can help enhance healthy immune function; oregano should be taken more frequently, when seasonal threats are high, or as needed, to further enhance immunity.
Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing oregano oil; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, oregano should be diluted with dōTERRA's fractionated coconut oil, when applied to the skin.
Primary benefits of oregano oil
- Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Provides immune-enhancing benefits
- Supports healthy digestion and respiratory function
- Excellent source of antioxidants
Uses for oregano oil
- Take one drop daily, to enhance immunity, when seasonal threats are high.
- Rub oregano essential oil and fractionated coconut oil on the bottom of your feet, to help enhance your immune system.
- For use in the bath, dilute 1-3 drops of oregano oil in body gel or shampoo, and add it to the bath water. Never just add this oil to the water, as it will "puddle" on the surface and can burn sensitive tissues.
- Put one drop, in place of dried oregano, in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce or on a roast.
- Put 10 drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle, with water, for a surface spray.
- As an cleanser, the diluted oil can be used in cloths, to wipe down kitchen and bathroom countertops.
How to use:
Oregano oil is intended for aromatic, topical or dietary use. Due to its high phenol content, dilution is required when using topically; and I'd recommend it for internal use, as well.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid. A fatty liquid, like almond or hemp milk would work best. Do not use water.
- Topical use: Dilute one to two drops with dōTERRA's fractionated coconut oil, then apply to desired area. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor's care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.