Peppermint (Mentha piperita) Essential Oil from dōTERRA®
Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing, alleviates occasional stomach upset
→ Phenolic alcohols (up to 44%):
→ Keytones (<25%):
menthone (20-30% and up to 65%, if distilled in September, when flowering)
Peppermint is one of the oldest — and most highly regarded — herbs, and has been used for thousands of years. It is popular in countless forms, frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum, for oral health. Peppermint also helps to alleviate occasional stomach discomfort and promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing.
15 mL bottle.
About peppermint oil:
The Mentha piperita plant is actually a hybrid of watermint and spearmint, and was first described by Carl Linneaus, in 1753.
Peppermint oil was used by the ancient Egyptians and Romans, as well as many other groups, throughout history. Today, it is very widely used in foods, candies, gums, dental products and cosmetics. In fact, it may well be one of the most readily recognizable scents and flavors.
The oil is distilled from the whole Mentha piperita plant, and yields an oil with a minty, hot, herbaceous aroma, high in chemical compound menthol. This high menthol content, found in the dōTERRA's peppermint essential oil, distinguishes the best quality peppermint from other products.
There are more than 30 different compounds in pure peppermint oil, each in varying amounts, creating a synergistic masterpiece of biological activity.
Primary benefits of peppermint oil
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing
- Alleviates occasional stomach upset
- Frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum, for oral health
Uses for peppermint oil
- Use a drop of peppermint, with lemon, in water, for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Rub on the stomach, or take internally, for occasional digestive discomfort.
- Add a drop of peppermint to your chocolate Trim Shake, for a yummy twist.
How to use:
Peppermint oil is intended for aromatic, topical or dietary use. Dilution is recommended for sensitive skin.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl oz of liquid. The FDA has certified peppermint as GRAS.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilution with dōTERRA's fractionated coconut oil is recommended, especially for those with sensitive skin, to minimize any possible skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor's care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.